Bryn Ludlow is a PhD Candidate in the Joint Graduate Program of Communication and Culture at Ryerson University and York University. Her academic background is interdisciplinary, and includes degrees in Integrated Media at OCAD University (BFA, 2010), and Health and Aging at McMaster University (MA, 2012). Bryn’s artwork, and research has been recognized with graduate research, and community service awards, and she has authored and co-authored publications in national and international journals, including: The Medical Post, Ars Medica: A Journal of Medicine, The Arts, and Humanities, The American Journal of Kidney Diseases (AJKD), The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), and Forum: Qualitative Social Research (F-QSR).
Bryn’s dissertation research is looking at the formal, and artistic qualities of videos created by adopted youth and/or youth in foster care at five digital storytelling workshops in Canada (Guelph, Toronto, Moncton, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon). This work is a collaboration with the Adoption Council of Canada, and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).
Ph.D. Candidate, York University, Communication and Culture (In-progress)
M.A., McMaster University, Health and Aging, 2012
B.F.A., OCAD University, Integrated Media, 2010
de Jager, A., Tewson, A., Ludlow, B., & Boydell, K. (2016). Embodied Ways of Storying the Self: A Systematic Review of Body-Mapping. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 17(2). Retrieved from http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/article/view/2526/3987
Ludlow, B.A. (26 Nov 2014). Witnessing: Creating visual research memos about patient experiences of body mapping in a dialysis unit. The American Journal of Kidney Diseases. (64) 5, p. A13-14. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2014.06.013.
Awards & Scholarships
– York Doctoral Fellowship (2016 & 2017)
– The Donner Canadian Foundation Scholarship for “The Stories We Tell” writing workshop (2015)
– Master of Arts Thesis Award, McMaster University (2012)
– Sir Edmund Walker Award for Proficiency in Integrated Media (2010 & 2011)
– Certificates for Outstanding Service, OCAD University (2007 and 2008)
– The Governor General’s Award for Scholastic Achievement
– Status of Women Award for Positive Community Service and Leadership (Presented by Dr. Ursula Franklin)